Read Time:3 Minute, 25 Second
· Determining the Size of your Inverter Step 1. List all your appliances. The first step towards finding the right inverter for your needs is to list all the electrical devices you intend to power.. If, for instance, you are looking for an inverter for your semi-truck, you can include a laptop, a mini-fridge, microwave, heater bed, entertainment system, and an air conditioner.
· Wattage is volts X Amps. A 120 volt inverter needs 2.5 amps to make 300 watts. Power stays the same no matter how you convert it. ( With probably a loss for heat because nothing is 100% effective in converting power) To get 300 watts of 120 volt AC power out, you would need to draw 25 amps of 12 volt DC from the cigarette lighter!
An amp is a measure of electrical current at the moment. (Amps do not come in “amps per hour” or “amps per day” either). Amps are important because it determines what wire size you need, especially on the DC (low voltage) side of an inverter. All wire has resistance, and …
What gauge wire for 400, 1000, 1500, 2500, 2000 watt inverter? The type of gauge wire requires depending on the size of the inverter. If you have an inverter below the size of 3 feet and 400 watts power supply, then 8 AWG cable is sufficient. It is advisable to use the shortest length wire to reduce the friction between the flowing energy.
300 ÷ 10 = 30 Amps (300 ÷ 20 = 15 Amps) Notes: • It is the actual load watts, not the inverter rating that counts. So a 1500W inverter with a 500 Watt load would be 50 (25) Amps, not 150 (75) Amps.The same inverter with a 1200 Watt load would draw 120 (60) Amps.
For example, you have a freezer with a continuous load of 4 amps, and a start up load of 12 amps: 4 amps x 120 volts = 480 watts continuous 12 amps x 120 volts = 1440 watts starting load You would need an inverter with peak-surge rating greater than 1440 watts.
The DC battery and alternator must supply the DC AMPS. The average size alternator used in a vehicles’ DC charging system is about 100 AMPS DC. This can power an inverter that will deliver about 1,200 watts @ 120 VAC. A 3000 watt inverter can only deliver 1,200 Watts @ 120 VAC using your vehicles existing DC charging system. (see formula above).
· For example, if you have a two-outlet inverter and will be plugging in 2 devices at once, add up the total wattage of both devices, then add at least 50% more to account for peaks or spikes in the power draw. Volts (120) x Amps = Watts. Appliance Est. …
· This rating should show how many amps your device consumes. Next, multiply the amp-count and voltage to get the watts. For a default, the standard output voltage for most countries is 120V. As an example, if your device has a label with 6.5 amps and 120 volts, you’ll multiple 6.5 by 120 to calculate that the device consumes 780 watts per hour.
· Get shopping advice from experts, friends and the community! I need to take my air compressor to a remote site & will need an inverter to get power from my truck to the unit. It is a 150 psi pancake compressor. The manual states 2 peak horsepower, 10 Amps at max load, 120 v, 60 hz, and 1 phase. Inverters are rated by watts, and I can’t figure out how many I need.